Trump and Clinton in Tight Race after Student Exit Polls

Stephane Silva, Contributor

img_1144
Student Council sponsored and organized the Mock Election held on Friday in the Murphy Cafeteria and other locations on campus.

Lowell, MA- Student exit polls on Friday indicate that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are in a very tight race after the Mock Election held at LHS.

img_1143
Students cast votes in the Murphy Cafeteria.

The student exit polling is not scientific and the actual results will be announced by the Student Council later today.  Exit polls are informal surveys outside the polling place to understand how and why people voted.

LHS  Digital  Newspaper surveyed 15 student voters randomly in the Murphy Cafeteria on Friday during lunch 2 and 3 after the students voted.

“Trump is going to be better for American business and trade agreements,” said one Senior girl in L2.

Among students polled candidates received the following votes: Republic Nominee Donald Trump, 6 votes, Democratic Nominee Hillary Clinton 5 votes, Libertarian Nominee Gary Johnson, 2 votes, and Green Party Nominee Jill Stein, 1 vote.

img_1146
Student voters at the LHS polls.

“I don’t like either Hillary and Trump and Jill Stein has great ideas for the environment and for America compared to other candidates,” said Senior boy in L2 after casting his vote.

Students were left anonymous to encourage their participation in the exit polling.

The Clinton campaign received positive news on Sunday when the FBI Director James Comey stated there would not be any charges against Hillary Clinton as part of an investigation of her emails as Secretary of State.  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/us/politics/hilary-clinton-male-voters-donald-trump.html?ref=todayspaper

Students expressed some frustration with the ongoing personal attacks between the campaigns.

“Johnson will make a bigger difference on the issues because Clinton and Trump are so focused on personal attacks,” said Sophomore girl in L3 after voting.

The national election for President of the United States takes place tomorrow November 8.  There is no school in Lowell due to the election.