Lowell, MassachusettsLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.
Lowell High School's Newspaper of Record

The LHS Review

Presidential work in progress

America could be great for everyone someday

There always seems to be smoke around President Trump but where there is smoke, will there be fire?

Artwork by Nathalia Rodriguez

Artwork by Nathalia Rodriguez

Andrew Boisvert, Staff Contributor

Artwork by Nathalia Rodriguez

By Andrew Boisvert

Lowell, MA- When you think of a perfect president what do you think of, acceptance, trust, the feeling of protection? A perfect president makes you feel all of these. When you’re scared because you just found out that their was a shooting in a nightclub that killed more than 50 people just for being who they were, as happened in Orlando, Fl, then you looked to this president to feel safe and secure and to know that justice would be served. When a girl in your school or town was raped you knew that this president stands by that girl, and stands by every girl and every woman who has ever felt that they were inferior. Unfortunately, the days in which you felt that safety may be over since Donald J. Trump was inaugurated January 20th, 2017. That was the day we all lost that feeling of safety, when we lost an atmosphere of trust. That was the day they put a fan in the house of cards.

Rights and Wrongs

Morals are something that every individual should have and understand.  They represent the difference between right and wrong, what to say or not to say. Most people have the same basic ideas about morality however there are some people who stray from the norm, and form their own set of morals. One such person being the current president of the United States. President Donald J. Trump was a figurative wrecking ball throughout his whole campaign.  Some going as far as calling him a monument to human hubris which isn’t that far fetched if you look back on his actions over the past year. But more importantly, he revealed his true feelings on topics like race, gender equality, religions and international affairs, and the LGBT “Lifestyle” during this campaign. His actions have raised some questions. To make America great again as he states,  it requires making it intolerant, ignorant, and to have inequality soar. That is not the America that I want to live in, do you?

Put the Wall on US

One of Donald Trump’s promises during the election was that he was going to build a great wall to separate Mexico and America. In his mind he’s doing this for the good of the country, he believes that this is the only way that he can keep our country safe. That is honorable but the way he went about it was not. First of all he didn’t mention that he was going to be a extremely offensive to Mexico in trying to force them to pay for the wall. Obviously, that won’t work. He  didn’t end with the wall however, he had the nerve to say that the Mexicans that come to this country are criminals and rapists, and that statement crossed too many lines of decorum to count. What he does not understand are the reasons why people do what they do, why so many people risk their lives to get here. Most immigrants have no interest in killing or robbing us, but they want to be apart of our country and that is something that we shouldn’t so rudely disregard. Something that President Donald Trump isn’t too eager to reveal is that we are going to pay for his wall.  Now that he basically cut connections with Mexico, if he still wants his precious wall, we are paying for it.  Yes, us. Still, President Trump’s ignorance may be a necessary step forward to making America great again, don’t you think?

Indivisibly offensive

President Donald trump thinks all that women are good for is to please men. I can’t even go into all the quotes where he degraded women, sexually, and otherwise. One that sums up most of them is “You know, it doesn’t really matter what the media writes as long as you have a young and beautiful piece of ass.” He doesn’t take work seriously if it’s made by women. It’s people like him that make it two times harder for women to make a name for themselves in the workplace, when they can do as good or even better in politics, journalism, business, and so many more jobs.   If only women were given equal opportunities, then maybe more respect would follow. One of Trump’s debate points in the election was that Clinton was ugly, what does that have to do with politics? Nothing.  He degrades 50.8% percent of the American population because of the body parts they were born with and that’s just unacceptable. But again it’s necessary to degrade and discredit women in order to make America great again, isn’t it?

Unequalled in marriage

Speaking of things that people were born with, well sexuality is another. President Donald Trump has been very clear on where he stands on this topic. When asked if he was considering repealing marriage equality he said, “I would strongly consider that, yes.” It’s not that he just wouldn’t offer marriage equality if it wasn’t already a thing, he would actively rip the option of marriage away from thousands of innocent people within the LGBT community. It’s hard to understand his motives but it can’t be for the good of the people seeing how he’d be hurting thousands of the people whose rights he’s sworn to protect. But we didn’t have LGBT rights when America was great so those need to go too, right?

Freedom to repress

During the campaign, most of us remember President Donald Trump insisting on a “Muslim Ban.” After a terrorist attack he went straight to assuming that all Muslims are cold hearted killers out for American blood. He did this because he was scared and he didn’t know what to do and he just wanted to protect his country. But in truth, the Muslim religion is a very peaceful one if it’s taught in a peaceful way. Still, like every book, it’s how you understand the words that are written. Actually only about ⅕ of Muslims are radicalized in the world. But it’s strange how recently Trump has been trying to ban certain countries in the Middle East.  And though he doesn’t like to say it out loud, these are countries that have Islamic majorities. This is clearly an attempt of religious intolerance and suppression which is against the moral values in which this country founded.  In Trump’s world only people from Judeo-Christian background made America great, ah really?

Make America great for everyone

Although I couldn’t disagree more with the path Donald J. Trump has taken as president,  it would be ignorant of me to assume that he is solely pursuing his own sinister agenda. To make America great we need to look towards improving the future and not trying to go back in time. We need to work together to accomplish a common goal which would be a better America for all Americans, not just the select few that were supported when America was so called “great.” America was never truly great for everyone, but if we work together it could be truly great for everyone someday.  Don’t you think?