Pollard Memorial Library Writers’ Club

Student share ideas on writing at Pollard Memorial Library

Kira Poole, Staff Writer

First Writers’ Club meeting of Fall, 2017 (Photo: Kira Poole)

Lowell, MA -The Writers’ Club at Pollard Memorial Library is reaching out to writers who want to improve. Anyone looking to join a group of peers who share an interest in writing is welcome.

Members of the club come together to share ideas, read their works, give feedback, and practice writing through activities and prompts all for the purpose of improving.

Beth Brassel, the club’s supervisor, believes it can really help to have someone to bounce ideas off of and discuss your work with.

Brassel said, “…an idea that one person throws out can spark someone else’s.”

Inspiring creativity and a desire to write are, to her, among the most important aspects of the Writers’ Club.

She even said, “It makes me want to write… [they] all are really great writers, so it definitely inspires me.”

Among the club’s goals this year includes a version of Nanowrimo, which challenges writers to write a novel in a month. The club members decided to create a smaller version of this task that only requires a paragraph or more within the month, which they have named Nacho Rhino.

The challenge is not at all mandatory for members, but it is applauded to participate.

Brassel added, “I also want to create some kind of publication, which is something we did many years ago. I want to try to revive it.”

This publication would include any form of short writing members would want to contribute to it. It, like Nacho Rhino, isn’t mandatory. The club is meant to be fun and members are free to write however they like.

If you are interested in joining, meetings are held every other Friday at around 3:00p.m. in Pollard Memorial Library’s meeting room.