Generation Citizen Civics Day- Fall 2017 slideshow

Students at Lowell High participate in the Fall 2017 Civics Day of Generation Citizen

Julian Viviescas, Staff Reporter

Boston, MA- On December 8, 2018, students at LHS participated on ‘Fall 2017 Civics Day’ an event organized by the nonprofit Generation Citizen. LHS was represented by 23 classes, more than a quarter of the total statewide representation.

Civics Day gathers students from all cities and towns of the state of Massachusetts to present the projects each class has been working on that semester. Out of all there were 110 students, 23 classes in total that were each accompanied by their respective educators. The event took place at the Massachusetts State House on Beacon Hill.

LHS student Julian Viviescas, this reporter, and former LHS student Carla Duran kicked off the event with a speech where they first welcomed all participants, and proceeded to present the schedule for the day.

After all classes presented their project, students were called to see the winners of the distinctive awards. The awards were given to those classes, students or teacher who have gone above and beyond with their work, and that also represent the values of Generation Citizen.

Out of nineteen awards LHS took three:

Grassroots Change Award

Mr. Selvaggio’s received the ‘Grassroots Change Award’ on their project tackling down sexual harassment where they clearly compels why their focus issue matters to them and the community.

Open-Mindedness Award

One of Bryan Sheckman’s class (who is no longer a teacher at LHS)  received the ‘Open-Mindedness Award’ for their project on access to local government, reflecting thoughtfully on the GC process and experience and connecting it to the future.

Collaboration and Diversity Award

Mr. Thornton’s class wanted to have a driver’s education course at LHS. The class’ first initiative was to have the course as part of the curriculum, but instead they decided to partner with a local business and with LHS to support an after  school Drivers Ed program; Thornton’s class received the Collaboration and Diversity award for their effort.

Throughout the semester the students, with the help of their respective educators have demonstrated a mix of professionalism, responsibility, and desire to demonstrate how important it is for young people to advocate for themselves and for the problems in the place they live.

It truly is a remarkable experience for the students and for the school to take on community problem-solving, the Generation Citizen offers future students a voice on issues that matter to them, according to LHS Generation Citizen faculty leaders.