Lowell, MassachusettsLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

The LHS Review

Red Raiders top MIAA All-State meet

First time State Champions for LHS

Juan Giron, Sports Writer

By Juan Giron

LOWELL — Lowell High School boys track and field team was crowned All-State Champions for the first time in school history on June 2.

The Red Raiders scored 55 points in the meet, which was 25 more points than the runner up team, Newton North with 30 points.

Sophomore Richmond Kwaateng placed first in both the preliminaries and finals for the 100m, clocking a 10.70 in the finals. Kwaateng also placed 5th in Long Jump with a measurement of 22-08.00.

“It feels amazing and I’m humbled to be in that position especially being an all state team champion,” said Kwaateng at his finish as fastest 100m runner in the state.

Senior Nasir Gibson placed sixth in the one mile run with a time of 4:18.35.

“It felt amazing, cause it’s my firs time qualifying for New England’s individually in that meet, and I was glad that I was able to do what I have to do for the team,” said Gibson after qualifying to New England’s which would be his last high school meet.

Junior Evans Oduro placed fourth in the triple jump finals with a measurement of 45-04.25.

“It was overwhelming, but amazing at the same time winning the first all-state title in school history,” said Oduro on his thoughts of winning the first all-state school title.

While Senior Carlos Rivera placed sixth in the two mile run with a time of 9:31.38. Jose Guzman, also a senior, placed ninth in the 400m hurdles with a time of 56.63. Junior David Ajama tied for first place in High Jump with a height of 6-10.00. In the pentathlon finals prior days to the meet, Senior Thomas Cannon placed third in the pentathlon with 3,296 points, and Senior Marcos Candido placed sixth with 3,104 points.

The Red Raiders 4×100 team of Senior Anthony Doung, Sophomore Richmond Kwaateng, Senior Nick Czelewicz, & Junior Andrews Bonsu placed 2nd among All-State teams with a time of 42.35.

The 4×800 team of  Junior Jadiel Pinales, Senior Carlos Rivera, Senior Nasir Gibson & Senior Chris Galarza placed 4th among All-State teams with a time of 7:57.80.

Photos courtesy of Sentinel & Enterprise, baystaterunning.com and ma.milesplit.com.