Flood Warning Lowell, MassachusettsLocal Weather Alerts

Flood Warning
Effective: November 21, 2018 at 4:55amExpires: November 21, 2018 at 1:00pmTarget Area: Middlesex; Norfolk

Flood Warning
Effective: November 21, 2018 at 4:55amExpires: November 22, 2018 at 1:00pmTarget Area: Middlesex

Lowell High School's Newspaper of Record

LHS journalists place top 5 in state contest

MASPA - Best of MA Scholastic Press 2017-2018 Contest

Lowell, MA – The Massachusetts Scholastic Press Association awarded 5 LHS students top 5 honors in the 2017-2018 Best of Year in Scholastic Press contest during the week of June 19.

In the Best Editorial, Best New Photo and Best Online Video categories of the annual contest LHS seniors Mary Tgibides, Zuhair Syed and Christina Prum were awarded as were junior Ashika Tamang and sophomore Juan Giron.

LHS was the only school to take 2 places in the top 5 of both the Editorial and Online Video Categories. See the other winners at MASPA.

Senior Mary Tgibides, an editor and artist for the LHS Review, captured 1st place with her editorial, “Hushed Issues with an LHS move,” published on June 16, 2017.  The contest runs June to June.

Junior Ashika Tamang, staff reporter for the LHS Review, took 3rd place with her editorial, “Sexual Harassment,” published in the LHS Review on May 17, 2018.  Ashika wrote her editorial during her studies with Social Studies teacher Jessica Lander.

The MASPA judges made the following recommendations about all entries into this category, “Strong arguments on local situations or events are often the most challenging to take on for student journalists. Taking a hard, detailed look at all the facts of complicated decisions that directly impact the student body makes for a piece that engages your audience, and persuades while informing. The clear purpose and position, as well refutation of the opposing argument makes for an editorial that connects to your readership and community at large.”

LHS students also won awards for Online Newspaper Video category announced on June 19, 2018.

Zuhair Syed, a senior, and Juan Giron, a sophomore, placed 3rd and 5th respectively in the Online Newspaper Video category for their work published on the digital newspaper The LHS Review, the newspaper of record for Lowell High School.

The MASPA judges made the following recommendations about all entries into this category, “Don’t be afraid to plant yourself in the middle of the action. And please, monitor audio levels so all clips come across at the same volume. A video is only as strong as its audio…”

Christina Prum, a senior, placed 2nd in the Best News Photo of the Year category for her photo of LHS student demonstrators placing sticky notes with reasons to keep LHS downtown on posters outside the school.

MASPA announces the winners in different categories each day this week and next week.  A comprehensive resume of judges appears below, according to the contest website.

Best of Year 2017-2018 Judges

Katherine Cornetta, yearbook adviser, Boston University

Sarah Crosby, videographer, The Daily Hampshire Gazette

Mary-Kate Kasper, English teacher, Newton South High School

Danukshi Mudannayaki, page designer, The Harvard Crimson

Paul Niwa, Emerson College journalism professor

Mahi Shafiullah, photo editor, MIT Tech

Colleen Simpson, Gates Intermediate School, Scituate, Mass.

Bretton Zinger, New Bedford High School

Editor’s note: An updated version of this story was published on June 20, 2018 to include new award winners as MASPA announces different categories.

The LHS Review • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in