LHS Students Protest The School’s Dress Code

Back to Article
Back to Article

LHS students in headwear on the day of the protest

Faris Al Nasrawi, Senior Editor

On Monday, October 1st, Lowell High School students protested the school’s dress code regarding headwear by wearing headwraps, durags, bandannas, and various other head clothing articles.

“The protest started because a bunch of [students] realized that the student handbook is getting more strict than it should” stated the senior class president Eunice Tabea in an interview with the Raider Report.

Although documented religious headwear, such as hijabs, are exempt, students are not allowed to wear cultural headwear as it may hinder identification, as per the student handbook. Sports headbands, which only cover a portion of one’s forehead, are not mentioned or implied in the student handbook.

The proposition going forward to the superintendent of Lowell Public Schools and the school committee exempts cultural headwear and only cultural headwear from the dress code. The head of school, Mrs. Marianne Busteed, and the senior class president both agree that other forms of headwear may obstruct identification, which is necessary for security purposes.

Mrs. Busteed stated in an interview with The Raider Report: “The most important thing is safety. When a situation occurs in the school, and we have to check the cameras to identify students, we need to do so clearly in order to address any safety situations. That really is the most important thing.”

The senior class president, Eunice Tabea claims that students have previously been written up, received detentions, or were suspended for wearing cultural headwear. She also claims that sports headbands were confiscated, and students who wear them were threatened with suspension. B-House dean, Mrs. Deidre Haley stated that no students in B house have been penalized that severely. She claimed that students were instead asked to remove any headwear deemed inappropriate at the time. The remaining house deans were either unreachable or did not agree to comment on these claims.

Head of school, Mrs. Busteed arranged for the protest to be carried out and for students to voice their grievances without opposition from school personnel. At the end of the school day on October 1st, Mrs. Busteed made a public announcement thanking the student body for voicing their concerns in a peaceful manner.