Cape Verde Ambassador Commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day With the Black Unity Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Emily Rios

Lowell High School’s Black Unity Club hosts a celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day with the Ambassador of Cape Verde, Carlos Veiga, on Monday, January 14th. The Ambassador shares how King was an inspiration not only to those in America but to all freedom fighters around the world.

Ambassador Veiga starts off his commemoration to King by describing the memorial dedicated to him. To Veiga, reading the various speeches displayed around the monument gave his words more power. The courage it took for King to stand for his beliefs reached Veiga at a time when he was fighting for democracy in Cape Verde.

Countries like Cape Verde and many more are what make Lowell High a diverse community. Students of different backgrounds and cultures fill the halls of this school. To the Ambassador, education is a fundamental step in becoming an active part in a community.

Ambassador Veiga later addressed the importance of unity and fighting for a universal belief or cause. Individual success is achieved through the success of a group; he learned this through his experiences in Cape Verde.

Ambassador Veiga finished his address, and the Black Unity Club introduced the Head of School Mrs. Busteed. He received the Leadership and commitment to social and Economic advancement award for his dedication and service to his people. After some questions, Ambassador Veiga was given a tour of Lowell High’s campus, including the Freshman Academy.

The day ended with traditional Portuguese dishes cooked and served at the Daniel P. Kane Courtyard Restaurant. Students who are traveling to Cape Verde later this year were invited to lunch with the Ambassador. During his time at Lowell High, the students were able to learn and connect with a culture in celebration of the universal community and brotherhood exemplified by Martin Luther King Jr.