Lowell High’s Pair of Helping Hands for the Homeless

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emily Rios

By Emily Rios

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, January 21, Lowell High students board buses headed towards the Cambridge Senior Center for the Helping Hands Day of Service event. The organization Helping Hands 365 teamed up with other local organizations to provide for those in need. The doors were open to anyone who wanted to lend a hand.

Lowell High students were some of many that volunteered. Two floors held different activities for people to participate in. Clothes donation drop-offs were right by the door, with volunteers sorting through them. Further along the way, materials are set of multiple tables to create Valentine’s Day cards. A volunteer tells us that they had the community make Valentine’s Day cards for the elderly and veterans. It was a small gesture that can make a huge impact.

The next area had a corner of the room occupied by long tables and bags. In one line, students entered and made personal care kits for homeless teens and adults. Plastic bags were filled with shampoo, soap, and other small luxuries. Off to the side was another line, but the bags were different. Instead of personal care, these brown bags were being filled with games for children in the Emergency Room to play with. People picked up various crayons and puzzle games and sealed the bags for them.

On the second floor, two rooms were dedicated to the creation of scarves and blankets for the homeless. People received a pre-measured piece of fabric, cutting out designs and pinning them on. All items made were later put into bins to be sewn by volunteers in the community.

The best part about the event was that there was no limit to how much you could do. Well over a hundred care packages were created by the end of the event; many bags covered the long tables completely filled. Lowell High students created multiple Valentine’s cards, scarves or blankets- not stopping after doing everything once. Someone who shared these sentiments was LHS senior Sam Pring, stating, “Can we go into the [care package assembly] line again? Let’s do it.”