2 cups of sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 to 3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups grated carrots
½ cup butter softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 ¾ cups confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
(Optional) 1 cup chopped walnuts
(Optional) orange and green food coloring
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, and oil. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; beat into egg mixture. Stir in carrots.
2. Pour two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
3. For frosting, in another large mixing bowl, cream butter, and cream cheese. Beat in the vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar. Add enough milk to achieve the desired spreading consistency. Reserve ½ cup of frosting for decorating if desired. Stir walnuts into remaining frosting.
4. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. If decorating the cake, tint ¼ cup reserved frosting orange and ¼ cup green. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #7 round pastry tip.
5. Fill the bag with orange frosting. Pipe twelve carrots on top of the cake, so that each slice will have a carrot. Using #67 leaf pastry tip and the green frosting pipe a leaf at the top of each carrot.
6. Store cake in refrigerator.
Yields 12 servings
One slice is 702 calories
This recipe comes from The Taste of Good Home Cookbook
I am not by any means a good baker, and this came out amazing!