Lowell High School's Newspaper of Record

The LHS Review

The LHS Review

The LHS Review

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Future of LHS, Renovate or Relocate ?

By Brian Hoey

Lowell, MA- After years of intense debate around the city concerning the future of the Lowell High School (LHS) building, a solution may be near.

A feasibility study is beginning since the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA)  has approved a study of the project in March.

The feasibility study will look into the different options regarding renovation or rebuilding.  The study will also address the costs and benefits of  whether to relocate or keep the school in the same location or a different location.  A final recommendation will be made and then, the MSBA will decide whether to fund the project.

Over the years there have been discussions among politicians and residents about the school in its existing location in the Downtown neighborhood and renovate it, or to move the school to an alternative location outside of the downtown. Some of these locations include a large plot of land in the Pawtucketville neighborhood, another in Belvidere near the sports fields and Cawley Stadium.

The LHS headmaster, Brian Martin, recently said that he was an “advocate for equity,” indicating everyone around the city should  have equal access to the school. Martin also said that over 30% of the current student body is currently able to walk to school.  Therefore, according to Martin, putting the school in a place that makes it “difficult for students to come to school, and participate in activities after school… seems very unfair.”

He also expressed concern about the amount of money required to build a new school.  Such a high price tag could add to the city tax bill and become unpopular among the city’s residents.  According to Martin, building a new school could cost $50 million more than renovating the existing school, which could eventually add to the tax bills of the residents of Lowell.

On October 15, 2015, the Lowell Sun published a story by Amelia Pak-Harvey, in which then deputy superintendent of Lowell Public Schools Jay Lang said, “the cheapest option in building a whole new school would be if it was done on the current property, and it would cost $250 million, 78% of which would be paid for by the Massachusetts School Building Authority,” which pays $500 million per year in funding to the  new school building projects around the Commonwealth.

Advocates of the current location note that there may be  an impact on the downtown economy should the school be moved outside the city.  Martin said, “If you look at events that are held at the high school…it brings people into the downtown before, and they eat after…we have regional events and cheerleading competitions that the high school draws…and all of these people do stay and visit, and it helps sell Lowell as a destination city.”

When city planners consider all of the effects that the high school has on the city, advocates of the downtown location think the city will keep the school in its current location. Martin said, “after evaluating the potential parcels, if in fact the city leaders look at fairness, equity, and cost, that the existing high school would be where they develop.”

Either way, there will be some type of change in the current Lowell High School, either renovation or relocation, and the community will have to wait and find out what will be done with this historic school.