Lowell High School's Newspaper of Record

The LHS Review

The LHS Review

The LHS Review

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Anticipations for Indoor Track

By Chris Ferreira

Lowell, MA- The pistol fires a blank shot and the runners take off. The crowd erupts with a cheer supporting the runner representing their school. The runners themselves are focused on only one thing, and that is winning the race.

The race itself is physically draining on the competitors, but they persevere through the tough, even painful moments.  Turning into the final lap, lungs burning and hearts pumping, the runners give it their all to finish first.

Lowell High School has a recent history of success in the indoor track season as part of the Merrimack Valley Conference, MIAA State Indoor Track & Field Meet and the All-State Track & Field Meet  and possibly beyond.  In the past 5 years LHS has had many first place team finishes in meets with surrounding towns.

LowellÕs Sean Keene finished third in the 300.SUN/DAVID H. BROW
Lowell’s Sean Keene running the 300. SUN/DAVID H. BROW from The Lowell Sun

This upcoming Indoor Track season is expected to be again a promising season for the program. Many teachers and  students are expecting big things from this class of athletes.  

Individual performance is an important aspect of the track team’s success each year. One member who has been a huge part of the team’s success is LHS senior Sean Keene.

“I am looking forward to the races this year. I am confident and not afraid of anyone,” said Keene who hopes to become a state champion this year.

Keene finished the 2015 indoor track season with a personal best of 37.44 seconds in the 300 meter dash. An average time for the 300 would be around 44-48 seconds.

According to Keene,  he’s not the only member of the team to watch.

“In the sprints watch out for Mike Akon and Bobby “Mr. Eh-heh” Panagiotopoulos, both have incredibly fast times,” said Keene.

Akon runs for 38.11 seconds in the 300 meter dash while Panagiotopoulos runs for 7.19 seconds in the 55 meter dash.

Panagiotopoulos is a senior who is looking to make his final season a memorable one while Akon is a sophomore who is expected to be an important part of the team’s future.

“Key Shot Putters to watch out for are Sean Trott and [this reporter], both can get the shot out there,” claimed Keene.

Similar to Bobby and Akon, Ferreira is a senior while Trott is a sophomore. Ferreira throws around 43 feet, and Trott throws around 36 feet.

“There are many distance runners to watch for; among a few are Tom Abraham, Chris Polanco, Connor Donovan, and David Crueger-Cain,” said Keene.

Taking the team to the next level will require contributions from these distance runners, according to Keene.

“I’m fired up and ready to go for this year’s season,” said Bobby. Bobby’s main goal is to win the MIAA State Track Meet, and he has a side goal of winning the National Track Championship.

Panagiotopolous also previewed the upcoming LHS track season.

“Watch out for Dave Casey, Henry Funaro, Shaymus Dunn, Ronan Dunn, and Shawn Sherring,” said Panagiotopolous.

The team is feeling confident in their abilities and is looking to take the program far this year, he said.

There is a lot riding on this season because of the legacy that has been left by past runners, according to Panagiotopolous.

However, with this all-star lineup of athletes, the Indoor Track team should have no problems sweeping the competition this year.