LHS writers succeed at Law Day 2018 essay contest

Two finalists win the Joe Hogan Scholarship

Mackenzie Perrin, Staff Reporter

By  McKenzie Perrin, Staff Reporter

Lowell, MA- Two LHS students were awarded as finalists in an essay contest about separation of powers in government titled “Separation of Powers as an Ensurer of Democracy” at a recent Law Day ceremony in the Middlesex Juvenile Court at the Lowell District Court.

LHS essayist Amanda Satterfield won the contest with her essay focused on the role of her generation in the democratic process and its effect on constraining and influencing the power of government.  Satterfield emphasized the aftermath of the Parkland school shooting in her writing.  Satterfield received a $1,000 Joe Hogan Scholarship for first place.

Joy Majwega’s second place essay focused on Brown v. Board of Education and President Eisenhower’s role in enforcing judicial decisions that desegregated the high school in Little Rock. Majwega received a $500 Joe Hogan Scholarship as second finalist. 

The Law Day ceremony is held in honor of  Joe Hogan, who is remembered in his role as attendance officer for the Lowell Public School district.  The LHS AFJROTC Color Guard and the LHS Show Choir opened the ceremony with the recognition of the flag and national anthem.

Head of School Marianne Busteed was in attendance, as was Dr. Sharon Clark, Col. Eileen Ironfield (with the honor guard), and Sam Descoteaux (with the Show Choir).